Monday, September 8, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday- Top Ten Underrated Authors in Adult Fiction

Hey guys!

Every week the lovely ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish Blog give us a pre-determined topic to list our top ten books. This week the topic is the top 10 authors in whatever genre of my choosing. I chose to do adult fiction because I feel like a lot of times this is sort of an overlooked genre. While I love my young adult, paranormal romance, fantasy, and sci-fi books there is just something about sinking my teeth into a good adult fiction book (figuratively of course, there is not book biting going on over here). Also, I am trying to broaden my horizons so I do not get stuck in a reading slump, and this is a good way to remind myself that I do like adult fiction and it is really not so scary after all. So here it goes in no particular order:

1) Mitch Albom
  • Why you should read this author:
    • I have read the majority of his books and I just love every single one of them. His stories are definitely some tear jerkers but they are the kinds of stories that resonate with you and leave you wanting more.
  • If you like:
    • books that deal with tougher topics (i.e. death)
    • tug at your heartstrings type of feels
    • quote worthy writing style
  • Books by this author:
    • Tuesdays with Morrie
    • The Five People You Meet in Heaven
    • For One More Day
    • The Time Keeper
2) Anne Tyler
  • Why you should read this author:
    • I first read her books in high school as required reading and I can remember finishing the books well before I needed to because they were just so darn good. I have yet to read something by her that I do not like. I just love her story lines, her characters, and the issues that she deals with. All of the issues are things that real families struggle with and it is not always just a good happy ending which is so much like real life that sometimes you forget that you reading a book. Her stories have stuck with me over the year and every time that I recommend her to someone they come out just loving it!
  • If you like:
    • well-written characters
    • family issue books
    • plots that draw you in and keep you coming back for more (without the use of dragons which is a challenge yo)
  • Books by this author:
    • The Accidental Tourist
    • Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant
    • Breathing Lessons
    • Saint Maybe
    • Back When We Were Grownups
    • The Amateur Marriage
3) Amy Tan
  • Why you should read this author:
    • Another author that I read in high school for assigned reading and absolutely loved to death. I just fall in love with her worlds, writing style, and characters. They all just feel so authentic to me and her books deal a lot with the challenges of blending into a different culture. Considering that I am of polish heritage I can understand the difficulties that her characters face because sometimes it is hard to explain certain traditions to people who are not familiar with them. I just love how heartwarming her stories are!
  • If you like:
    • feel good stories
    • exploring new cultures
    • family issues
    • inner turmoil with characters
  • Books by this author: 
    • The Joy Luck Club
    • The Bonesetter's Daughter
    • The Kitchen God's Wife
    • The Hundred Secret Senses
    • Saving Fish From Drowning
4) Jodi Picoult
  • Why you should read this author:
    • If you want a tug-at-your heartstrings book with tons of feels, tears, and yes even some laughter then this is the author for you! I absolutely love Jodi Picoult and her books are some that I keep coming back to re-read. The story lines and characters truly stay with you and you feel their emotions so vividly on the page that at certain points it is physically impossible not to cry. Your heart will break, be put back together again, but will never be quite the same. Amazing author and truly spectacular books!
  • If you like:
    • characters that stay with you
    • family issues
    • tough topics
    • ethical dilemmas
    • crying
  • Books by this author:
    • My Sister's Keeper (if you don't read any other book by this author you must read this one!)
    • The Pact
    • The Storyteller
    • Vanishing Acts
5) Harper Lee
  • Why you should read this author:
    • Harper Lee may have only written one book but this book has stood the test of time. The issues that are explored in this book are still relevant to today's society and we can all take something away from this book, no matter how many times we read it. I love this book! It truly holds a spot of honor on my bookshelf.
  • If you like:
    • books that make you think
    • mild violence
    • ethical issues
    • exploring human emotions
    • society issues
  • Books by this author:
    • To Kill a Mockingbird
6) George Orwell`
  • Why you should read this author:
    • George Orwell has a way of weaving a tale that will not only makes you think, explores the darker side of human behavior, makes you question what is right and wrong, and also makes you just slightly paranoid. Whether it is the fact that big brother might just in fact be watching you or you become curiously suspicious of all animals and their plan to overthrow you I can guarantee that his books will stick with you long after the last word.
  • If you like:
    • kind of weird stuff
    • what is wrong with society
    • mild violence
    • slight paranoia after reading the book
    • books that make you think
  • Books by this author:
    • 1984
    • Animal Farm
7) Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Why you should read this author:
    • His books are some of the most amazing stories that I have ever read. There is just something so magical and wonderful about Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Watson. The mysteries that they unfold are done so with good old fashioned know-how and just a little bit of luck. Read these books if you want to give that good ole noggin a work-out and exercise some of those problem-solving skills.
  • If you like:
    • mystery
    • suspense
    • unique writing style
    • books that make you think
  • Books by this author:
    • The Sherlock Holmes series
8) William Least Heat Moon
  • Why you should read this author:
    • He is the king of the road trip novels. I absolutely adore his work and I always come away knowing more about a different section of the country and the people that inhabit it. His writing style just brings the people to life and you really do feel like you are on the trip with him. I especially like to read about the places that I have been because I know exactly where he is talking about. In some of his novels he even brings in some of his culture and talks about growing up on the Indian reservations. Thought provoking, superb, possibly one of my favorite authors.
  • If you like:
    • travel books
    • road trips
    • learning about people
    • new cultures
    • non fiction
  • Books by this author:
    • Blue Highways
    • River-Horse
    • Prairie Earth
9) Tennessee Williams
  • Why you should read this author:
    • Technically he is a play wright but I don't give a crap. I just love him and his work because it is just so freaking beautiful. One of the reasons why I love him so much is because I went to college in Mississippi and that is where he is from, so I was surrounded by his work. I fell in love and we have been very happy ever since. I have read his work and had the opportunity to see it brought to life on the stage. His writing is beautiful, haunting, and his characters resonate with you. You will be left wanting more, I promise!
  • If you like:
    • beautiful writing
    • strong characters
    • character development
    • having your emotions toyed with
    • exploring the human psyche
  • Books by this author:
    • The Glass Menagerie
    • A Streetcar Named Desire
    • Cat on A Hot Tin Roof
10) F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Why you should read this author:
    • I am a huge fan of this author and he is another one of those authors that I found because I was forced to read him for school. So school reading can be fun if you find the authors and stories that truly speak to you. I love his writing style which is full of drool- worthy imagery, his characters which have depth and dimension, and their is just the right amount of romance.
  • If you like:
    • romance
    • period pieces
    • imagery
    • great writing
    • characters that you will absolutely adore
  • Books by this author:
    • The Great Gatsby
    • The Curious Incident of Benjamin Button
    • This Side of Paradise
    • Tender is the Night
Well, that is it! That is my top 10 Tuesday post for the week. Let me know in the comments if you love any of these authors or if you have any that you want to recommend to me!

10 comments:

  1. I really like your approach to this week's TTT. I haven't even heard of William Least Heat Moon but his books sounds amazing - I'm glad to have him on my radar screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was a little bit nervous because I do love my ya, but I do want to branch out and read a variety of books on various subjects and in many different genres. So glad that you are going to check him out! I just can't get enough of William Least Heat Moon.

      Delete
  2. Oh this is great, I really love the way you've laid this out! Very enlightening. I'm with you on needing to go outside my comfort zone more and there are some great adult authors that I'm missing out on by constantly focusing on YA fiction. Thanks for this compilation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Breaking out of the comfort zone is super scary but very needed. I am glad that you liked the breakdown. I am one of those people that wants very specific reasons for reading a book or checking an author. I just assume everyone else does as well. :)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic list Emma. I really like how you've set it out and explained why we should read the authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am one of those list type of people who needs very specific reasons for reading a specific author or book.

      Delete
  4. Mitch Albom can make me cry ALL the tears. All of them. I actually have enjoyed some of Tennessee Williams's stuff, even though I am not a huge fan of classics generally. Great list, such a unique idea, and I love that you pointed out why too! Very helpful!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I can't read his books unless I am ready for some major tears. Tennessee Williams is so good, as are a lot of the classics authors. I think the key is to find those authors that make you forget you are reading a book because you are just so lost in the world. Thanks! I am glad that it could be of some help. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, this is a really thoughtful post with great information about each author and why we may enjoy them. Thanks, Emma! And agree with Shannon that the waterworks flow every time I read a Mitch Albom book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are some waterworks with Mitch Albom books. I mean you gotta be prepared to baul if you are going to sit down with one of those puppies. Thanks! I am glad that you enjoyed the post. I am thinking of making some more posts like these in different genres just to help people who want to branch out.

      Delete