Saturday, September 27, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Were Hard for Me to Read

Hey guys!

Every week the lovely ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish Blog give us a pre-determined topic to list our top ten books. This week we are talking about the books that are hard for us to read regardless of the reason.
My list this week is a sort of hodge podge of different books from many different genres and the reasons vary from I just plain hate this book to I just can't deal with the character's stupidity any longer. Here is my list in no particular order:


1) Moby Dick by Herman Melville
  • This book is just so freaking slow and the content is hard to sort through. The freaking whale does not show up until almost the end of the book and until then it is just some crazy man sailing the seven seas. I read this book mainly just so I could say that I officially read it. I liked it well enough about 3 out of 5 stars however I read it in middle school so maybe if I go back and revisit it one day I can have a renewed sense of appreciation for this classic.
2) The Works of William Shakespeare
  • I love William Shakespeare and it is no secret. I just cannot get enough of the sheer loveliness that is his writing, however at one point I had a hard time getting through his plays. I can remember in high school that I had to buy the copy of the play that had normal English on the other page in order to understand what the heck they were saying. I am so glad that I stuck with it and figured out how to decipher the writing style because now I have met the love of my life. Please give his works a chance and I promise that it will be love and you both will be very happy together.
3) A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer
  • This one was purely the content. The book follows the journey of a young boy who lives with parents who treat him horribly. He does not even have a name! His parents abuse him, treat him like dirt, and get other people outside of the family unit to do the same. Throughout the book we see him grow up and discover that he is worth something and deserves to have a normal life. Once you get past just the shocking aspect of the book you will be blown away and your life will be changed. I read this book in one sitting and to this day it remains a top pick for me. I want to continue on with the series and find out what happens to him as he grows up.
4) Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neil Hurston
  • The language is what makes this book so hard for me to read. Eventually I grasped the dialect and the book did go faster after that however there were still parts of the book that I had to re-read several times before I finally got the general gist of what was being said. However difficult the dialect is to understand it is a necessary part to the book. Just like a main character helps drive the story along the dialect sets the mood and tone for the book and introduces you to a different way of thinking. I highly recommend this book and after a while the dialect just comes naturally to you.
5) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  • This book marked the end to my beloved series, it was just so hard excepting the fact that after this book that was it. No more midnight book releases complete with parties at Barnes and Noble and me dressing up with my friends. This was it, the story was complete and there could be no more late night conspiracy theories with my friends once I finished this book. Also the fact that pretty much everyone that Harry ever cared about dies doesn't make it any better. Why J.K. Rowling? Why? Where is the 8th book? I want to see my favorite characters all grown up and what their kids are up to at Hogwarts. Does Professor McGonagall become the next ghost professor? The world may never know. Dang it! Now I am all nostalgic.
6) My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
  • Get ready to have your heart ripped out when you read this book. It is such a beautiful story with characters that become your friends you really feel their pain and that is what makes this book so difficult to read. The subject matter isn't very easy either. This story is about a girl named Anna who was born to be a perfect blood type match for her sister Kate who has leukemia. Basically Kate's parent's needed someone to be able to donate blood, bone marrow, etc. for Kate whenever she needed it. Now Anna is expected to give up one of her kidney's for Kate so she can continue to live and Anna is suing her parent's for the right to her own body. It really is a beautiful book and makes you question so many things. I confess that I baled my eyes out over this book and to this day it remains one of my favorites.
7) Nonfiction books
  • I am just lumping the non-fiction books together as one because as a whole it does take me a lot longer to read these types of books. It is not the fact that the books don't interest me or that I do not enjoy this type of literature it is merely the fact that these books just go slower. The slower that the book is the more I have to read each and every word to really take in the message that is being portrayed. Since I must slow down to absorb this type of literature that means that I must also break the book up into manageable parts so I do not get burned out. I usually break these books up with another faster paced novel that is being read purely for sake of fun and no thinking required.

8) Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
  • I picked this book up before I knew what it was about pretty much because I saw handcuffs and thought oh wow a mystery novel! I should have known from the knowing look that the cashier gave me that this was definitely not a mystery novel. I did not make it even halfway through this book before I had to put it down. I have tried romance novels before and it is not necessarily the content (a.k.a. the sex) that makes me cringe. It is the portrayal of the male and female characters. The men are always portrayed as being masculine, impossible to resist, and very overbearing. The women in these novels are weak minded, weak spirited, and just plain submissive. I cannot stand these stereotypes and just can't get past that to read and focus on the story. I just can't.
9) the Twilight series my Stephanie Meyer
  • This series started out actually pretty good. I must say that I rather enjoyed this book and I was looking forward to continuing on with the adventures. However, as the story progressed Edward turned into a flat out stalker, Bella seemed to have absolutely no spine or self-respect, and the love triangles were possessive and just got plain annoying. You knew that Bella would never choose Jacob and no matter what you kind of knew that Bella would end up as a vampire. It was just obvious. I think I stopped with the third book and did not even try the fourth one. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Sorry twihard fans!

10) Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
  • My hatred for this book goes deep! It might have something to do with the fact that in the span of two years I had to read this book a total of eight times. I did not like this book the first time and with each re-reading the hatred only grew. No real reason I just really hate this book, can't quite put my finger on a true reason. I guess I just didn't really like the characters, the plot was just boring, and the writing made me feel like fingernails on a chalkboard. In fact even to this day if I pass this book in a store I still feel some hatred and have to stand there and death stare it for a minute before I can move on about my business.
There ya go! That is my list for this week. Please let me know if you agree or disagree with any of the books on this list.

2 comments:

  1. Great list of books. Harry Potter & My Sisters Keeper were definitely hard reads. 50 Shades was so bad I DNA it.
    ~Pixie
    Check out our TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! The Harry Potter series definitely had some tear jerker moments and My Sister's Keeper never had a non-tear jerker moment. 50 Shades is the worst book ever in my humble opinion.

      Delete