Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday- Ten Authors I Have Only Read One Book from but Need to Read More

Hey guys!

Every week the lovely ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish Blog give us a pre-determined topic to list our top ten books. This week we are talking about authors that we have only read one book from but wish that we could read more. Just to be clear these books are all ones that I have rated 5/5 stars, so it goes without saying that I love these books and I just need more by this author.


*note: due to my power being out for all of Monday night I am doing 9 authors this week. Sorry guys but the struggle was real*

Here are the top 9 authors that I want to give a second chance:

1) Rainbow Rowell
  • What book have I read:
    • Fangirl
      • Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan... But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving. Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere. Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to. Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone. For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
         
  • Why I want more:
    •  I just related so much to this book especially the main character Cath and her love of a childhood book character named Simon Snow. I actually saw Eleanor and Park as well as Attachments at my local thrift store and for some insane reason I did not pick them both up. I just left them sitting there on the shelf and now that I want them I can't seem to find them second hand. I need more cuteness, adorable characters, and engaging storylines in my life right now. Give me more Rainbow Rowell or somebody is going to get hurt.
2) Ned Vizzini
  • What book have I read:
    • It's Kind of a Funny Story
      • Ambitious New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once Craig aces his way into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School, the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself. Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety. Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness.
  • Why I want to read more:
    • This book was just so thought provoking, amazing, and powerful. I honestly could not put this book down and it took me all of one day to read this book. I just can't say enough about this book or this author and I need more Ned Vizzini in my life.
3) George Orwell
  • What book have I read:
    • 1984
      • While 1984 has come and gone, Orwell's narrative is more timely that ever. 1984 presents a "negative utopia", that is at once a startling and haunting vision of the world — so powerful that it's completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of entire generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions — a legacy that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time.
  • Why I want more:
    • I guess I just like to make myself paranoid that the government is watching everything that I do. My friend in high school made me read this book because he wanted to share with me one of the best books that he had ever read, and being a good friend I obliged. I actually had my doubts about the book but after a few pages I was hooked. The main character was just so relatable because he was questioning what was real and if what he knew to be true and good was actually the best thing for him. I read this book at a time in my life when I was having to question my own decisions and plan for the future so I can understand how the main character felt. What decision is the right one? Do I want what is easy or do I want to take the high road and fight for what I believe in? All of these are questions that everyone struggles with and you need to read this book... like right now... go... read.
4) Harper Lee
  • What book have I read:
    • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Why I want to read more:
    • Why you only write one book? Where is To Kill a Mockingbird part 2? Scout and Jem grow up, have kids, etc.; why this no happen? I need more from you Harper Lee and you just refuse to deliver. This is another book that was just so thought provoking and powerful that it forced me to read it in one sitting and I was never the same afterwards. I recommend this book to everyone and it should be a staple in everyone's reading diet.
5) F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • What book have I read:
    • The Great Gatsby
  • Why I want to read more:
    • I have this thing for the 1920's and historical fiction so combining the two is a dream come true. I loved the imagery in this book and it felt like I was right there experiencing the love triangle right along with the main character. This book was a required school reading for me and I just could not put it down. It drew me in and has never let me go.
6) Madeline L'Engle
  • What book have I read:
    • A Wrinkle in Time
  • Why I want to read more:
    • I picked this book up because it looked interesting and was on of my first introductions to the world of fantasy. I fell in love with the characters and found myself rooting for their happy ending. I actually did not even realize that this was a series until this year so I might be reading more on their adventures. I will probably need to re-read this book though before I continue on with their story.
7) Amy Tan
  • What book have I read:
    • The Joy Luck Club
  • Why I want to read more:
    • I loved this book because it dealt with the topic of immersion into a different culture. I am not sure why but this is a subject that has always fascinated me and I just wanted this book to never end.
8) Erin Morgenstern
  • What book have I read:
    • The Night Circus
  • Why I want to read more:
    • Basically her writing style is perfection and unlike anything that I ever read. It completely captured the mood, ambiance, and magic of the Night Circus and really drew the reader in. The romance aspect of the novel was very well done and even though it was a major portion of the storyline it never felt overpowering like in some novels. It was just there simmering beneath the surface and gave an added spark to an already wonderful novel. The romance was needed to make the story really shine and the two characters always felt relatable and were very well-rounded. A perfect example of adult fiction that can be enjoyed by all ages.
9) Scott Westerfield
  • What book have I read:
    • Uglies
  • Why I want to read more:
    • It actually took me a minute to really get into this book because the main character struck me as cookie-cutter and kind of whiny. All she cared about was getting the operation and becoming a mindless pretty but throughout the book some major character growth happens and she actually ended up being pretty bad-ass. I want to continue on with this series to find out what happens next. Also Scott Westerfield is one of those authors who dabbles in a variety of different genres. He has his dystopian Uglies series, his steampunk Leviathan series, his vampire type Peeps series, and then there is the Midnighters series which I have no idea what that is about but I own all 3.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read something from Orwell and To Kill a Mockingbird from Harper Lee. One day I might read The Great Gatsby too, I loved the movie and I think the book must be fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must read 1984 and Animal Farm. I just read Animal Farm and it is mind blowing. To Kill a Mockingbird is just beautiful and you must have it in your life. The Great Gatsby is amazing as well, I also loved the movie and thought that it did the book justice.

    ReplyDelete