Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September Wrap-up and October TBR

Hey guys!

Today I am sharing my September Wrap-up and October TBR. If you would like to watch the video then here it is:

For those of you that are reading this at work or just don't want to watch the video, here is the written version of my month:

Books read in September:
  • I am the Other by Phillipe de Vosioli
    • Rating: 0 stars
    • Thoughts on the book: I did not finish this book. The plot line was confusing, the characters felt distant and cold, and the constantly switching perspectives left me with something to be desired. I hate doing this to books because I love reading and even if I don't like a book I try and finish it, but after reading 100 pages I just could not get into the book. So, I just sold it to Second & Charles in the hope that maybe somebody will buy it and love it. It deserves a loving home that I just could not give it.
  • The Death Cure by James Dashner
    • Rating: 5 stars
    • Thoughts on the book: Overall I thought that this was a solid conclusion to this trilogy. There were some loose ends that were left open at the end and the last portion of the book felt slightly rushed and a little bit sloppy. I did like the fast paced action of this book and I was on the edge of my seat for the majority of my reading time. I give this book 5 stars.
  • The Kill Order by James Dashner
    • Rating: 5 stars
    • Thoughts on the book: This book gives some really great back story information on what WICKED is and how the sun flares and the virus worked in the world. I loved the fact that there was an all new cast of characters and that I got to read from some different perspectives. This book is told from just one point of view and the characters are so well-written that sometimes it Thomas on their journey through WICKED training.
  • City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
    • Rating: 5 stars
    • Thoughts on the book: This series has been redeemed! After the horror that was City of Fallen Angels I was less than enthused to read this book. However, I was pleasantly surprised and I am back in love with this series again. I am looking forward to the conclusion and to reading the Infernal Devices series which I hear is even better than the Mortal Instruments.
  • Catherine by April Linder
    • Rating: 5 stars
    • Thoughts on the book: Oh my goodness! This book is just so cute and heartwarming. I loved the plot line and the characters, it just all felt so real. This book is a modern day re-telling of Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, while I have never read this book reading Catherine makes me want to pick up this classic. I absolutely love a good mystery and while I kind of knew who done it, the storyline keeps you hoping until the very end that you were wrong about your assumptions.
  • Pretties by Scott Westerfield
    • Rating: 5 stars
    • Thoughts on the book: A great middle novel to this series. I loved Uglies and this book did not disappoint. There was no awkward middle novel-ness, oh no! It was pretty much non stop action and Tally was once a again a bad ass with something to prove. The new characters that were introduced were wonderful and entertaining and the old characters were just as awesome as before. Specials will be epic!
  • Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
    • Rating: 5 stars
    • Thoughts on the Book: This book was just so fun and cute! I loved the time travel aspect, the characters were so much fun to read, the imagery was wonderful and I felt like I could really see these fantastic costumes, and overall it was just a great read. I flew through this book in one sitting and just devoured it!
  • Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini
    • Rating: 4 stars
    • Thoughts on the book: Overall I really liked this book. I did have some problems with it which I will discuss in a formal book review. The premise was good, the characters were not very relatable, the main character did get on my nerves, the writing was wonderful, and the book just did not resonate with me. I liked it but I did not love it. I will however read more of his books because I do love his stories.
  • How to Buy a Love of Reading by Tanya Egan Gibson
    • Rating: n/a
    • Thoughts on the book: I am not quite finished with this one yet but I am almost halfway done with it. So far I am loving it! I cannot get enough of the main character because she is just so funny, smart, and witty. I absolutely adore her inner monologue and her issues with her friends and family are just so relatable and universal. I am sure that this will be a 5 star novel and is probably going to make my favorite books list. So glad that I picked it up on a whim. :)
Books to be read in October:
  • City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
  • A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
  • Unwind by Neil Shusterman
  • Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
  • The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
  • Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
    • technically I started this book in September but I am only 50 pages or so in. So far it is freaking fantastic. :)
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

1 comment:

  1. Totally jelly of all the reading you got done in September! I REALLY need to read The Maze Runner series (the reviews for the movie were so good), but I haven't found the time yet. I hope your reading this past month was just as fruitful as September's!

    ReplyDelete