Friday, September 12, 2014

Reader Confessions: I Never Finish What I Start

So, I have a major confession for you guys today... I hardly ever finish series. Usually I get pretty far into the series (like with the Series of Unfortunate Events which I just lack the 13th and final book) and then other times I just read one book (think A Wrinkle in Time which I didn't even know was a series until I joined Goodreads) but I just never read the entire series. This surprisingly just doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. I don't know what is wrong with me? Sometimes I just get bored with the story, other times it's the characters that just start to annoy me, and the most of the time I just forget about the book and slowly over time lose all interest in the series all together. Basically I just have a hard time finishing what I start.

I have come up with a few ways that I think could help me to be able to finish more series:
  • pick short series, we are talking no more than five books. So basically I am not going to be reading any Meg Cabot or P.C. Cast books anytime soon.
  • check Goodreads to see what the rating for a series is before I buy the books. My most recent example is the Fallen series by Lauren Kate. I bought the first three books and then heard and read some terrible reviews for the books so I ended up just selling them back. Basically I made most of the money back but still I could have saved myself that money in the first place by just not buying the books.  
  • don't read the series all the way through from start to finish to avoid burnout. It can be daunting to read a 6 book series one right after the other so if I break it up and read things in other genres in between them then I might be able to finish the series.
  • just make myself do it. I have to admit that being lazy is one of my worst habits and if I just make myself do this then I can overcome my tendency to not finish series.
  • when I am reading a book in a series that I am having a hard time making myself read choose another book to supplement with. I am doing this right now with City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments #5) I am liking the book more than #4 but I am still having a hard time making myself read the book so I am also reading another book at the same time. This book is called Catherine and is a modern re-telling of Wuthering Heights and has a lot of mystery to it. Two totally different genres, storylines, content, etc. so when I get frustrated with one I just pick up the other one. It seem to be working well for me and I will have read two books in one week. :)
What about you guys? Do you finish what you start at whatever cost or are you like me and apt to just not finish the series? Let me know in the comments or on twitter @ Emmareads11 #seriesunfinisher

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment