I have come up with a few ways that I think could help me to be able to finish more series:
- pick short series, we are talking no more than five books. So basically I am not going to be reading any Meg Cabot or P.C. Cast books anytime soon.
- check Goodreads to see what the rating for a series is before I buy the books. My most recent example is the Fallen series by Lauren Kate. I bought the first three books and then heard and read some terrible reviews for the books so I ended up just selling them back. Basically I made most of the money back but still I could have saved myself that money in the first place by just not buying the books.
- don't read the series all the way through from start to finish to avoid burnout. It can be daunting to read a 6 book series one right after the other so if I break it up and read things in other genres in between them then I might be able to finish the series.
- just make myself do it. I have to admit that being lazy is one of my worst habits and if I just make myself do this then I can overcome my tendency to not finish series.
- when I am reading a book in a series that I am having a hard time making myself read choose another book to supplement with. I am doing this right now with City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments #5) I am liking the book more than #4 but I am still having a hard time making myself read the book so I am also reading another book at the same time. This book is called Catherine and is a modern re-telling of Wuthering Heights and has a lot of mystery to it. Two totally different genres, storylines, content, etc. so when I get frustrated with one I just pick up the other one. It seem to be working well for me and I will have read two books in one week. :)