Friday, September 26, 2014

Book Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Author: Kerstin Gier
Publisher: Square Fish
Publication Date: 5/22/2012
Series or Standalone: The 1st in the Edelstein Trilogie
Source: Bought from Second & Charles
Pages: 322
Rating: 5 stars
 
Summary via Goodreads:
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!
Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

 

My review: The first thing that drew me to this book was the fact that it was translated from German. I though that was just a really cool detail and made the book high up on my TBR list. Overall I really liked the book I thought that the characters were funny and engaging, the plot line really drew me in, the book was fast paced and thrilling, the historical elements that were thrown in, and the writing entertained me.

What I did not like:
  • The main character Gideon did irk me just a little bit because he was quite arrogant and seemed to believe that he was above everyone else. However, after a while he did kind of grow on me a little bit and I actually began to enjoy his company. I still think that he is up to something and we will have to see how the romance element with him plays out.
  • I have to say it was not that hard to figure out where the plot was going. I pretty much figured out the main twists beforehand but it was still a very entertaining read and I want to find out what happens next because I do want to know what the secret is that will be revealed when the circle is complete.

What I did like:
  • I read some reviews after I finished the book and one of the complaints was that Gwyneth seemed younger than 16 and they compared her to other female heroines. I do not think that this is a fair comparison because in dystopian novels a 16 year old has to act older in order to survive. Gwyneth was like a breath of fresh air because she was silly, giggly, awkward, down to earth, and just so relatable. She had this innate sense of curiosity about the world and the secrets that her family was keeping. Her heart was always in the right place and she was brave and stood up to people when she felt like something needed to be done. It is ok that she was not rock solid because a normal 16 year old girl is not rock solid and sometimes needs to just be weak for a second. I liked her spirit and her spunkiness.
  • The other supporting characters really made this novel pop. There are so many just evil villain type characters that I think it is going to make for a very interesting series. They were multi-dimensional and just so entertaining to read.
  • The plot kept me entertained. Even though it was pretty easy to figure out I was still enthralled in this novel and could not put it down. I wanted to find out what happened next and just flew through the book.
  • The writing was hilarious. There were parts that made me giggle out loud and earned me a few stares. I did not care however because the banter between some of the characters is just so wonderful and entertaining.
  • I liked how the time travel aspect was approached. There was some history thrown in there and everything sort of weaved together. I was happy with the scientific aspect because if it were just two people randomly traveling back in time at any point then I feel like the book would have felt a little bit to juvenile for me. However, with the incorporation of the historical figures, scientific elements, and some conspiracy theories it added another layer to the story which was much needed.
If you are looking for a book that is going to make you think and teach you the mysteries of the universe then this is not the book for you. However, if you want to be entertained by a cast of kooky and quirky characters with a slightly evil edge, a plot that draws you in, and two young time travelers exploring the past then this is the book for you. If you haven't already you should read this book!

Also where is the nearest Barnes & Noble because I need Sapphire Blue and Emerald Green or somebody is going to get hurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment