Monday, August 25, 2014

Review: White Cat

White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)
Author: Holly Black
Pages: 320
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Publication Date: 5/4/2010
Standalone or Series: Curse Workers #1
Source: Bought
Rating: 4.5




Brief Synopsis Via Goodreads: Cassel comes from a shady, magical family of con artists and grifters. He doesn't fit in at home or at school, so he's used to feeling like an outsider. He's also used to feeling guilty; he killed his best friend, Lila, years ago.

But when Cassel begins to have strange dreams about a white cat, and people around him are losing their memories, he starts to wonder what really happened to Lila. In his search for answers, he discovers a wicked plot for power that seems certain to succeed. But Cassel has other ideas and a plan to con the conmen.


My Review: Overall this was a really good book, somewhere between great and freaking fantastic. I will definitely be reading the second book in the series to find out what happens next.

What I did not like:
  • The plot was hard to follow at times. There were points when I had a really hard time trying to figure out where in the world this book was going with the plot line. In the end though it all ironed out for a phenomenal end.
  • The main character was slightly whiny. It felt as though half the book was Cassel just whining about how unfair his life was and how he wanted to be a curse worker but he wasn't. There was character growth here though so I liked that he became less whiny.
What I did like:
  • The action was pretty much from beginning to end. While the plot did kind of meander at times it was engaging and entertaining. So, it was easy to sit through not quite knowing where the author was going with this story at certain parts. 
  • The fact that the characters are well developed. There are some characters that you like and are rooting for, some that you don't like at first and then end up loving, and some that you just love altogether. It makes for a nice mix and all of the characters felt real, except for them having magical powers (I am still waiting for mine).
  • The fact that there was a cat. I am a sucker for a good cat story so this one was right up my alley.
  • The incorporation of magic did not feel forced. Sometimes when reading a book about magic and powers the story can just feel too forced. As if the author is trying to hard to world build. While the setting for the story did take some time it was not just thrown in your face in the beginning but rather developed as the story progressed.
  • The characters were funny. Not in an absurd way but just in a dysfunctional family type of way. Kind of reminded me of my own family funny farm that I run.
I recommend this book to anyone who like magic with a twist. I have never read a book quite like this one so I appreciate Holly Black staying away from the cliché.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite series! I hope you like the next two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of the problem with the first book for me was the world building, but now that the world has been established I feel that the next books will go by a lot faster.

      Delete