Sunday, August 31, 2014

A Reader Challenge- Breaking Out of the Safety Zone

I am all about pushing the envelope on my comfort zones. I don't like to get stagnant or fall into a routine. I do this in practically every aspect of my life which is why I scale 50 ft. boulders in my spare time or try to not order the same exact thing at a restaurant that I frequent. However, the one area where I do not tend to truly push myself to grow and to expand my horizons and my comfort zone is my reading material. I love young adult, fantasy, sci-fi, and throw in a few classics. Other than that I don't really branch out that much I pretty much just stick with what I am comfortable with and never really try new books.

So, as a personal challenge to myself I am going to force my unwillingness to expand stop and decease with an ultimatum that I will branch out of my comfort zone and expand my reading list to include more adult fiction and even some nonfiction. I will be relying on Goodreads and some book review blogs to help guide the way (of course I will also use my tried and true method of wandering the aisles until something pops out at me). I have already done well by adding the books:

  1. The Memory Keepers Daughter
  2. Open Doors by Ian Rankin
  3. Just One Day by Gail Forman- not the type of book I would normally pick up off the shelves
  4. Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin
  5. The Late Mr. Shakespeare by Robert Nye
  6. The Summer I Turned Pretty series by Jenny Han
to my shelves in the hope that maybe I can get a taste for something new. Not that there is anything wrong with what I normally read, but I believe that books should make you grow as a person. As much as I love getting caught up in fantasy worlds and a lot of the books do touch on some very deep and profound subjects and questions, they are first and foremost  reads that are just for fun. I want to expand and grow as a person and as a reader.

Honestly this scares me more than I think it should, I mean come on I climb 50ft rocks for crying out loud with nothing attached to me but I walk into the fiction section of a bookstore and I freeze up like a little wussy. It's a scary challenge and I will probably have a panic attack but I will do it. This will probably mean that I will get most of my books out of the free bin at Second & Charles (a used bookstore), my dad's stash, free kindle books, the library, or really really cheap at the thrift store. This is mainly because even books within my normal genres have to be ones that I am pretty sure I will love for me to break down and spend the money. Maybe I will find a new favorite author or genre of book.

If you guys have any suggestions of books that deviate away from the sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, fantasy, young adult genres (or any really good books within those genres, because ya know I have no self-control) please do tell in the comments!!!!!!!!!!! 


2 comments:

  1. This is so good, I think a lot of readers ought to step out of their reading comfort zone. I was purely a YA-reader, but one day i decided to try something new. Since i have discovered that I love funny memoirs and a well written crime novel. Currently I´m reading Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman. If you want to try some really hilarious memoirs I would highly recommend the books by Jen Lancaster. Totally LOL books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really appreciate the recommendations because I am always looking for new things to read. I actually really love a good mystery and it all started when I picked up one of my mom's books because I just wanted something to read. I definitely need to get on reading Orange is the New Black because it sounds like a book that would be right up my alley.

      Delete