Monday, July 7, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday- Blogging Confessions

This is a weekly meme that is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where they allow bloggers to post on a pre-determined topic.

This week the topic is the Top Ten Blogging Confessions. I haven't really been blogging long so I don't really have a whole lot of confessions to well confess to so this list is more like what kind of blogger do I want to be and what rules have I set for myself. So, let's begin!

1) Spread the love: I think that this is the most important rule that I blog by and that is to never leave a negative comment on anyone else's blog, Instagram, twitter, or in response to someone's comment on my blog. I also follow this on other social media sites as well. I just do not believe that anyone should be able to sit behind the safety of their keyboard and spew ugliness in response to how someone chooses to live, love, or blog. So rest assured that no ugliness will come from this blogger.

2) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you: I always try to follow back and respond to any comments left on my blog. I also truly do try to comment on other people's blogs, but sometimes that just does not happen. It would be impossible with my working two jobs to comment on every single person's blog that links up to meme or every blog that I like. I try but sometimes life happens and I just can't.

3) Always be yourself, unless you can be a dragon... then always be a dragon: I am a nerd, I am weird, I am awkward, and I rock that combination. I think that if you are going to be different and have a unique perspective on the world then you should be confident in yourself. I try to not reel in the crazy on the blog and write the way that I would normally speak. I don't believe that you should hide behind a person that you think others would like to see. Of course I do sensor some because don't nobody want to read a blog where the blogger cusses like a sailor, so some censoring is good to keep it all g-rated and family friendly but too much and you lose yourself and your voice. Your voice is perhaps your biggest gift and asset you have so use it well and use it wisely young grasshopper. If you normally use words on the daily like amazeballs, awesome sauce, and coolie o; then please for the love of Pete use them on the ol' blog. This is a blog not my dissertation! (Please do not use awesome sauce on an essay, report, or dissertation that is not the time to let the weird flag fly). Let people see who you really are and for the most part they will love you! And as for the others well we all know that they are just cyborgs anyways and the dragons will eventually take care of them. By the way what color dragon would you be? I would totes be a rainbow colored one with camouflaging powers. Just so ya know.

4) Don't try to compare your beginning to someone else's middle:  I try not to compare myself to other bloggers. One reason is because I have only been blogging for like two or three weeks so of course they are going to have more followers than me, more comments than me, etc. And on that note what does it really matter? Who cares if I only get a few people to follow this blog and some of my posts never have a comment on them. I blog for fun, I blog for me, I blog so that I can share my love of reading, books, the smell of books, the feel of a good book in your hand, that moment when you don't want to keep reading because you know that the book will end, the moment when some words on a page make your heart shatter, and all of the other wonders that go with loving books. Hopefully I can remember this rule as I continue to blog.

5) Reading should be fun not a chore: I welcome suggestions regarding what I should read, what you have read, books that just look pretty and we all know that we judge books by their cover. However, I hope to not get so caught up in just reading what other bloggers are reading in an attempt to be considered cool that I end up with a whole bunch of books that I just don't like. I love fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, and young adult. Not much for the classics, non-fiction, and adult fiction. However, I am trying to broaden my horizons and read books that are outside my comfort zone. That is a post for another day (really it is! I am working on it right after this post actually) but I still want the books to interest me. Also on the same tangent I don't want to feel pressured to buy a certain number of books or read a certain number of books just to fit in. Some months I have more money and time than others so what?!? I do what I want.

6) Sometimes I talk just to hear the sound of my own voice: I have been thinking about doing some v-logs. What do you guys think? Do you do them? Are they hard? Is it awkward to hear and see yourself on camera? I always think my voice is really weird on camera I just can't get past it. I really love the unboxing videos on book tube they are just so much freaking fun. I don't really order any books but I could totes put the books that I buy in a box and then open it like it's Christmas morning. By the way I love the song I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas and I would be perfectly ok if somebody sent me a hippo. I could see me now on some random morning creeping down the stairs! Oh what joy and what surprise to open up my eyes and see a box with a hippo sitting there. I told you I am weird.

7) Always judge a book by its cover: I am book blogger and I hardcore judge books hardcore based on their cover. Always have, always will. It's a problem and the first step to recovery is admitting that there is a problem. I have always done it way back before Goodreads and blogs when I would just have to wander the isles looking for books I would always pick up the ones with the interesting covers. It just happened, if I didn't like the cover then I didn't read the book. I absolutely hate covers with a boy and girl on them who are trying to kiss. Can't do it! It might be the best book ever but I will never know because I will never read it. Also I don't like covers where the people on it look real. I like hand drawn people or silhouettes  but not real people. However, I will at least give these books a chance if they sound interesting. Boy girl kissing or almost kissing=no! no! no! no! no!,anything else=maybe, dragons or other such  magical creatures=always.

8) Make time for life outside of the ol' blog: I don't want this blog to take over my life. I don't feel that it is healthy to spend hours upon hours a week writing blog posts, commenting on posts, etc. when there is so much else that I could be doing. I like blogging, I like reading other people's blogs, and I like interacting with people who love to read. However, I also like to take my dog to the park, go hiking, swimming, rock climbing, hang out with people in real life, etc. and I don't want to give that up just to make time for a blog. Do you guys ever feel like the blog takes over your whole life and consumes the free time that you never really knew you had? Sometimes I feel that way and it has only been a few weeks!

9) Quite buying all da books, you really don't need them I promise (I also lie, you need them... all of them, buy away ma friend): I have really got to find some good standalone books. What is with this series stuff? Every fricking thing is a series now a days. I don't get it, why? Why do you torture me so? I read a book that is good and makes me have some feels and then I find out that it is a series. And of course then I have to go out and buy said books. The books are either great and rip my heart out or horrible and make me hate them. I just can't! On that tangent I have got to stop buying whole series, no matter how cheap the books are, until I finish the first book and see if I even want to continue. I could end up hating the book and just let it fizzle out. But alas! I have no fricking self control and I just want to buy all the books! I wish I could read every book that was ever written and own them so I could sit around all day and read. However, that would not be good and I would probably be committed so yeah, there's always that. Anybody else ever have that fantasy or am I totally and completely alone in that wish?

10) Things are not always as they seem (a.k.a. the only true confession on this silly list that I made): I really, really, really, really, really want to write a book and be published. Don't know what it would possible be about but I know that I want to write a book. It's on my bucket list and I probably won't use my real name just to keep my personal and professional life separate. Being a pediatric physical therapist means that you have to have a certain professionalism about you at all times. You have to have a squeaky clean record and I just would not want my book to be under my real name. Which leads me to a true confession...drum roll please. Emma is not my real name it is a pen name that I blog under to keep my real identity off of the internet. When my employers go to check my name I don't want a whole lot of things to pop up so I kept my real identity off of here. Sorry, but I hope that you understand. Also I always wanted my name to be Emma, I hope to one day have a daughter named Emma, and I think that I would probably use that name if I ever do get to be published one day.

Welp, that is 10! Hope you guys enjoyed this post and feel free to leave a comment and I will try to comment back and respond to said comment. Can't make any promises but I will try my darndest. Also do you guys ever feel that your to-be read list is taking over your life. I just recently redid my bookshelves and sometimes I feel like the books will never be read and there will always be more. The "more books  than I can possibly read" part could in part be because I have no self-control and continue to buy more books. However, that is just one theory and has yet to be scientifically proven to be the sole cause of the never ending to-be read list. I will keep you posted on any further developments in the case of the to-be read list that overcame the book bloggers room and life.  

6 comments:

  1. This is such a great and inspiring list!! Lots of good advice. That you blog under a pseudonym gives you an air of mystery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know why I am so worried about using my real name but I am so Emma it is! I was hoping to use the list as a reminder to myself as well to just enjoy blogging and not worry about the logistics.

      Delete
  2. GREAT rules to blog by!! And ones that I should remind myself of more often when I get too caught up in my blog. You should def do a vlog! I mean, yeah, it's totally awkward to talk to a camera. It's not something I ever got over to be honest... but I enjoy watching them so if you've been wanting to try it out, then go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just want my blog to remain fun and a creative outlet. I don't want to get caught up in it and lose sight of my original vision. I really really really really want to do the whole book tube thing! Maybe one day I will get the guts to do it. :)

      Delete
  3. I love your list Emma (and that is such a pretty pen name). I agree with so many things, like not letting the blog take over my life. I've let blogging do that a couple of times and it's never worth it. And I love number 3. I would so be a Nightfury, from How to Train Your Dragon. The black look just works for me, and the aura of mystery is just so cool. Thanks for commenting on my blog and sorry for taking so long to comment back. I don't normally take so long, but this past week has been ever so busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally be Nightfury as well you know if the other look doesn't quite work for me. Dragon twins! Thank you for taking the time to comment back. I understand about being busy. I really do hope that I don't let the blog take over my life and that it truly just remains something fun to do on the side.

      Delete