Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Problem With Books

There are a lot of problems and tribulations that go along with being an avid reader and lover of books. So here it goes, a list that will hopefully sum up some of the problems that we as readers face at the hands of our beloved books.
21 Signs You're Suffering From A Book Hangover
  • You live a thousand lives. This is both good and bad because on the one hand you get to experience so much at the hands of a book. You can travel backwards or forwards in time, you can go to exotic type places, and get inside the heads of characters that teach you something about life, love, family, friendship, and hopefully yourself. The problem with living all of these lives is that reality is hard. Life is not a book and things will not always work out for the best. I love books that don't always end up with everything being resolved. Some wounds just run deeper than others and there are those times when you can forgive the pain but you can't and won't forget it or what it taught you. So yes you get to go to Hogwarts, Narnia, be a princess who finds her prince charming, lead an army, lead a revolution, etc. all at the hands of a book that is nothing more than a mixture of letter, words, and paragraphs that somehow magically transport you somewhere that you have never been. However, I always feel like I leave a small piece of myself there, a piece that I will never really get back. Reality sucks, I am moving to Hogwarts!
    oh these words, say it all.
  • Book Hangover. This is something that I often suffer from hence the name of my blog. You know that book that you just read, the one that ripped your heart out, that left you as nothing more than a shell of a person, the one that resonates with you and you just can't enjoy life or another book now because your heat, soul, and mind is still in that other book. You know that book (Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell I am looking at you!), yeah get used to it. Such is the life of a book lover and a book blogger. Because we have access and knowledge of all the really good books. So it's worse.
    "Some books you read. Some books you enjoy. But some books just swallow you up, heart and soul." ♡
  • You just don't have room for all of the books. I have to keep rearranging my bookshelves to avoid having to buy a new one. I have completely given up on separating them by classics, series, standalones, and children's books. Now they are somewhat alphabetized and that is almost too much. There are some that are sideways and stacked on top of each other and I now have a crap ton of picture frames that are homeless. I am going to have to buy wall shelves just to house the homeless things that are currently in a box on my floor. It's a problem but I am sure that I am ready for the 12 step program and recovery portion quite yet. So I will continue to buy all of the books until my house looks like a library and they have to come and unbury me from an avalanche that used to be my to-be read pile.
Happiness
  • Speaking of to-be read piles. It just never ends, books keep being written, they keep publishing them, other people keep reading them, they refer them on Goodreads and blogs, then they sell them back, and I just can't stay away from Second & Charles (a used bookstore that is only in certain parts of the country). The store employees know me by name and they point me in the direction of the books that they know I like. Good service or do I just spend way too much time there? You be the judge.
    When people say, 'I have so many books to read! Look at my To Be Read pile!' and it's like 8 books, I want to say, 'That's adorable. I have a TBR bookcase.'
  • You always get asked about books. My coworkers are always asking me about books and what I think that they should read. I love to give recommendations about my favorite books but I always feel weird about it. I really don't know what they like and sometimes we just don't like the same books. Point in case I recommended the Mortal Instruments series and two of my co-workers read the first book. One loved it and is now reading the second book and fan girling with me and the other did not like it so much. Different people, different tastes.
    I tried to form a gang once, but it turned into a book club. | Confession Ecard | someecards.com
  • You want to lone out books to promote the love of reading... but then again you really don't. Not everyone loves and pets and worships books like you do. They stain the pages, rip them, dog ear the pages, and other wise defile your precious book. It is the vain of your existence and we all have those friends. I just can't. I will lone them out to certain people who I know that I can trust with my babies and that is it. It's sad I will let you borrow my car, my cell phone, laptop, etc. but my books? Nope! No way! Not gonna happen! Unless you promise to love them and be kind to them... then I might think about it.
  • Sometimes you meet someone who says I hate reading. What do you do? Do you try and convert them? Do you walk away slowly? Throw Holy Water on them? Cause you know I totally have some Holy Water (really I do, got it from a priest who gave them out after church one Sunday) and it might come in useful one day. When you walk into a house that has no books do you ever wonder what these people do with their lives? Cause I do. What do you do? I actually went on a date with a guy who told me he hated reading. This is not the only reason that there was no second date but it definitely played a pretty major role. Also we met at a bookstore, how? Go figure.
    When people say, 'I have so many books to read! Look at my To Be Read pile!' and it's like 8 books, I want to say, 'That's adorable. I have a TBR bookcase.'
  • All of the good books are series. Why? Why do you torture me so? I read one book thinking oh what a wonderful book and then it ends on a cliffhanger and bam! Now I have got to go out and buy the other books so that I can know what happens. I didn't want that kind of commitment. However, now I have no choice I must know. Also I have no self control when it comes to books. I just want them... all of them... right now. I am currently working on acquiring more standalones and will hopefully have a post soon with my favorite stand alones in different genres.  
    I read the entire book before I realized it was part of a series... I didn't want that kind of commitment, but what choice do I have now?
  • There are just so freaking many of them. Where did they all come from? I had no clue how many books were written until I discovered Barnes & Noble had books that were not delegated to the kids section (I discovered this young) and now that I have Second & Charles in my life, whoa Nelly! There are a lot of freaking books out there and most of them I will never read either because I just don't want to or because I would do nothing for my entire life but read books. Yet another reason why I need minions I could just have them do it for me and then somehow link the feels to me so it's like I read them.
    *Can't wait to stop in at my favorite bookshop today for Holiday shopping:)!   'Hello,Hello Books' in Rockland,Maine
Hope that this list sums up some of the problems that we as readers face. Let me know what you think and if you have any problems to add to the list in the comments! Hope that I at least some what entertained you.

No comments:

Post a Comment