Saturday, July 19, 2014

Review: Partials

Partials (The Partials Sequence, #1)

Author: Dan Wells
Pages: 468
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: 2/28/2012
Series or standalone: 1st in the Partials series
Source: bought off of Amazon
Rating: 5




Short Synopsis Via Goodreads: For fans of The Hunger Games, Battlestar Galactica, and Blade Runner comes the first book in the Partials Sequence, a fast-paced, action-packed, and riveting sci-fi teen series, by acclaimed author Dan Wells.

Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island. But sixteen-year-old Kira is determined to find a solution. As she tries desperately to save what is left of her race, she discovers that that the survival of both humans and Partials rests in her attempts to answer questions about the war's origin that she never knew to ask.

Playing on our curiosity of and fascination with the complete collapse of civilization, Partials is, at its heart, a story of survival, one that explores the individual narratives and complex relationships of those left behind, both humans and Partials alike—and of the way in which the concept of what is right and wrong in this world is greatly dependent on one's own point of view.


My Review: I freaking loved this book! It was amazeballs and totally rocked my world! I am so freaking glad that I bought it off of Amazon and my only complaint and regret is that I did not buy Fragments so that I could binge read them both.

Let's start with what I did not like (because that is a very short list):
  • The beginning. It was just kind of slow and it was hard to tell where the story was going. However, once the action started there was no stopping it. 
  • The cover. Not a fan of covers that feature real people and I am kind of tired of girls walking away/facing you with the hair blowing in the wind look.  
  • The people who ran the government. They were so corrupt and manipulative you just had no choice but to despise them, this is the point of the writing to make you hate them. But this went beyond normal dislike for me I really hope in Fragments that most of them get destroyed or you know just sort of disappear.  
What I did like (a.k.a. pretty much everything):
  • The characters. They were so believable and easy to relate to. There were some that just kind of went along with what was happening and did not care to try and find the flaws in the stories and facts and then there were the others. Those that did not believe that what was being done was enough and that the government was completely right about every single thing. Because they weren't, they just weren't. The characters made mistakes, they learned, they grew. I love it when there is character growth and when no one person is made out to be the unflawed hero or heroine.
  • There were strong and independent female characters. Even in a society that was taking away their rights to choose what happens with their own bodies the females stayed strong. Whether they went along with it because they wanted to do the right thing or they looked for an alternative because they knew that this was the wrong way to go about fixing the problem. The women were strong, they were independent, they were fierce, they thought for themselves, and they fought for what they believed was the right thing to do. I loved it!
  • Once you finally thought you had it all figured out... bam curveball. The book kept me guessing and I loved that. I like it when I can't quite figure out all of the little twists and turns. That is the mark of a good book. The curves were seamlessly woven in and really added some depth to the story.
  • The writing. Even in the slow beginning the writing was pretty freaking fantastic. It made me want to continue on with the story because I truly believed that it was all going somewhere.
  • The fact that not everything was resolved and tied up in a pretty box. Good people died and bad people got away with murder and other such not nice things. That is real life and I like it when books simulate that. I don't want a happy ending all the time with everything in its rightful place sometimes I just need it to be kind of messy.
  • The ending. Cliffhanger! I need books to end on cliffhangers so that I will feel the need to read more of the series. I love it and I want to read Fragments so badly it hurts.
  • There was no instalove. It was so refreshing to read a book that the love was not instantaneous. All of the character were either together before the beginning of the story or the relationship had a slow burn type effect to it. I liked it; that is how most real relationships happen. In fact the relationship between any one character was not the entire focus of the novel, it just was sort of an added factor. There were other factors much more powerful motivating the characters and that was the best part of the story for me. The instalove never really lasts in real life so I don't want it to in books. Also the people in the relationships were not hopelessly in love, all of the people seemed to have a good handle on their own feelings. Which was pretty remarkable considering that most of the main characters in the book were pretty young and by that I mean under 20 years old.
  • The friendships. They fought, they got mad, they hurt the people they cared about, and ultimately they forgave each other. I just can't. How many books really feature a whole lot of this... not that many surprisingly. They always called each other out and this helped to keep the relationships from feeling to one-sided. I hope that in the next book the friendships hold up and become even stronger than they are now.
  • The fact that Kira, the main character, works in a hospital. I work in a hospital and so I like any book that anything to do with science or medicine and this book definitely has those elements. I like that she has a brain and will use her knowledge and intuition to figure out the truth.  
Read this book! Please and thank you. Also if you have already read this book then please fan girl out with me in the comments. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment