Friday, July 4, 2014

Flashback Friday: A View From Saturday


ffbutton2This is a weekly meme that is hosted by Rebecca over at Bookshelf Fantasies as a way to recap books that are older (been published for at least five years) but still have a special place in our hearts.







This week I picked The View From Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg. Published: 5/1/2003.

The View from Saturday




Summary taken from Goodreads: Mrs. Olinski, paralyzed in a car crash ten years ago, returns to teaching and chooses four unlikely sixth-grade Academic Bowl team, who become unlikelier champions, in more than the state competition. Julian, the strangest one on the school bus, invites Noah, red-haired Nadia, and silent Ethan, to tea.

Why I love this book: You know those books that make you fall in love with reading... well for me this is one of those books. I just love the story about four misfit 6th graders who come together to win the Academic Bowl. This is definitely a story about an underdog and 4 teenagers along with 1 teacher figuring out what is important in life, what their individual strength is, what winning is all about, and finally what it means to have real friends. I just love this book!!!!!!! Sadly even at my old age I find myself settling down to re-read one of my favorite children's books. That is the sad part of being a book lover is that I can't seem to just let go of books. Clothes... meh I can throw those out willy nilly, but ask me to throw out a beloved book and we will fight to the death. It is sad that I am emotionally attached to words printed on paper, but such is the life. One thing is for sure though this book will always have a place of honor on my bookshelf and my future children will be reading this once they are old enough to appreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing sad about revisiting childhood favorites! One of my happiest moments recently was finding a really old copy of a book I remembered reading as a kid, especially since I'd remembered the title incorrectly and had never been able to look it up. E. L. Konigsburg wrote such fantastic middle grade books, and I love to still have them around! Great choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love to re-visit my old favorites I find I just get more out of them the older that I get. He does write some freaking fantastic books!

      Delete