Sunday, July 6, 2014

Books That I Just Could Not Make Myself Like

You know those books that you want to like and really and truly try to make yourself read and enjoy, but for some reason you just can't. Yeah, me too! So I decided to make a list of those books that I just can't for whatever reason like at all!

1) Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer- I tried I really really did. I read the first one with little problem and then after that it just went all downhill. The subsequent novels completely tainted the first book that I somewhat liked. It wasn't even so much the writing, even though it definitely went downhill as the books progressed. It was more so the romance in the books I just couldn't!!!!! The love triangle was silly. There was a vampire who was helplessly in love with a girl and the girl couldn't quite choose between the undead who watched her sleep (creepy) and a werewolf who genuinely seemed to care for her. Seemed like a no brainer but apparently it wasn't that simple. That and the main character Bella was whiny, weak, hopeless, and selfish. I just could not like this series and didn't even finish the last book. I literally just put it down and didn't look back. I also think that this series ruined vampires for me. I just can't.

2) Island of Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell- It wasn't so much that I didn't like this novel in fact it was quite enjoyable...you know the first time that I had to read it. However, the multiple subsequent re-reading that I was forced into made my view of the novel quite tainted. I now hate this book and wish harm upon it. Maybe one day I will go back and give this book another try but for now let me wallow in hate.

3) Hatchet by Gary Paulson- Again another book that I liked the first time but after being forced to re-read it multiple times I just could not make myself keep the good viewpoint of it.

4) Lord of the Flies by William Golding- This book was ok. A good solid 3 so not great but certainly not horrible. However, my English teacher at the time was a good solid 1 a.k.a. terrible! He completely ruined this book for me due to his silly antics.

5) Moby Dick by Herman Melville- I only read this book for pride I think. There was just something about being able to say that I have read Moby Dick that made me want to read this book. I suffered through it but that does mean that I enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment