Friday, July 4, 2014

An Ode to 'Merica in Book Form

Here is a list of books that are either written about America or feature some prominent  figure from American history that I would actually consider reading. This list is both a way to honor America and the contributions to American literature and a way for me to expand my repertoire of literature.

  1. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith: Are you really that surprised? This book has been on my radar for some time and come Friday a.k.a. pay day that book is mine baby! I am sure that there are some historical facts thrown in with some kick butt awesome vampire slaying action.
  2. Blue Highways by William Least-Heat Moon: This is a book that I have actually already read and got my dad hooked on. This book is about a man who travels the blue highways which are the local roads on a map of America. He documents his adventures, the people he meets, the places he goes, and of course the things that he learns. A beautiful depiction of what America really is. Also be sure to check out his other works that explore the flyover states, the rivers, and the coasts of America.
  3. A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins: This book has also been on my radar for some time and one that I am excited to get a chance to read. Who wouldn't want to just pack it all up and head out on a journey on foot across America with their trusty dog in tow? Honestly it sounds awesome, throw in some Europe countryside and we got ourselves a deal!
  4. The Last Founding Father: James Monroe and a Nation's Call to Greatness by Harlow Giles Unger: This book was recommended to me by my dad who loves history so I figured I might be willing to give the book a try. I need to read more non-fiction and expand my horizons some because I am in a book rut.
  5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain: Two all around good American books by a very talented American author. You should definitely read the classics and the books are actually quite enjoyable once you get into the stories.
  6.  The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams: Another great American author and one that I feel a lot of pull towards. This mainly being that I received my undergraduate degree from a university in Mississippi which just happens to be where he is from. Great play and an even better author and playwright.
I am sure that this list could go on forever but I will stop at 6. Hopefully you guys found some things to add to your to-be read list (not like it isn't a thousand pages long already) and if you have any suggestions feel free to leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment