Monday, June 30, 2014

Review: Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1)

Author: Veronica Rossi
Pages: 374
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: 12/4/2012
Standalone or Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Source: Bought
Rating: 4.5 stars




Summary Via Goodreads:
In a world of danger
an unlikely alliance
breathtaking adventure
and unforgettable romance...


Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.
If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.


Review: This is definitely different than most dystopian novels that I read. The others are about a government that cannot truly protect them from some outside influence whether real or fabricated. In this case the government has created a dome that not only protects the people from the outside world it essentially cuts them off entirely. This happens with them being able to roam the realms which are described as better than real. I mean how crazy is that? Aria has not even seen real rocks, trees, or breathed fresh air. So yeah! Boy was she in for a really rude awakening.

The events of the story definitely surprised me so that made for a very enjoyable read. Definitely did not take the course that I had thought, but then I like that in novels. I don't want to be able to figure everything out and I love to be surprised and even shocked.

I really liked the character of Perry as he seemed to be pretty multi-dimensional. He had really good reasons for behaving the way that he did in the beginning and for the choices that he made. He really was a good person that was just trying to do the right thing and he was motivated by loyalty, love, and family ties. He was willing to do everything in his power to protect those he loved, much like Aria. So I really liked that.

Aria got on my nerves at first but she turned out to be very strong, independent, and self-sufficient. I suppose I should have been more forgiving. I mean the girl had never really had to do anything for herself before and had never felt pain or gotten sick. So she had a bit of a culture and system shock in the beginning of the novel.

I like Aria and Perry's relationship for the most part. Towards the end I felt like it was just a little bit forced and slightly rushed. However, if I had just risked life and death with a man I might develop some feelings for him as well. But really? In a very short span of time suddenly there are romantic feelings that were not present before? Hopefully the romance portion will not be a major factor or motivation in the future novels. A little bit is ok and perfectly acceptable but I don't want to read a hot and steamy huba huba type thing. I also thought that Aria dealt with learning the truth about her, her family, and her government with a lot of grace and maturity.

The supporting characters were also very well done and really quite entertaining. All of them served a purpose and provided the story with a lot of very memorable moments. I look forward to seeing more of them in the next two novels.

The writing was freaking fantastic! Plenty of action, plenty of suspense, basically just plenty of everything that I love in a novel. I found myself really getting into the novel and trying to rush ahead to find out what happens next.

This book is somewhere between great and freaking fantastic. Don't really know what it is but something just irks me about the romance. Can't quite put my little finger on it but it just took something away from the novel. I could just be bitter and cynical... who really knows. I would recommend this book and I will read the rest of the series. I already have the 3rd book Into the Still Blue and I am trying to get the 2nd book Through the Ever Night. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment