Friday, June 27, 2014

Flashback Friday- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

ffbutton2
This is a weekly meme that is hosted by Rebecca over at Bookshelf Fantasies as a way to recap books that are older (been published for at least five years) but still have a special place in our hearts.






It will come as no surprise that I picked Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by the lovely and talented J.K. Rowling.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)

I received this book as a birthday present when I turned 10 and ever since then there has been no turning back. I am talking midnight book premiers and midnight movie premiers (all while dressing up in character of course). I probably know more about Harry Potter than I do about American History! On my 11th birthday I anxiously awaited my Hogwarts acceptance letter and was sorely disappointed when nothing came by way of owl. I imagined it to look something like this:



Harry Potter was more than just a book it was a movement and one that I desperately needed at a young age. I needed a book that could sweep me off into a distant magical land and where a boy who was different from everyone else, was ignored, bullied, and looked down upon could turn out to be someone very important.



In elementary and middle school I was bullied by guys and girls. I didn't come to school with my hair done up really pretty, I never had the coolest clothes, always had my head in a book, etc. I watched as my friends got guys and succeeded at being girls. And then there was me. I had big curly bushy hair, acne, wore weird clothes because that was what I liked, and didn't have a guy take true interest in me until my freshman year of high school (a romance that lasted all of two months). I longed to be swept away by the Hogwarts express and learn all about transfiguration, potions, charms, etc. all while making really awesome friends. And meeting the hunk a hunk of burning love... Oliver Wood, he's mine ladies back off!



See him hovering at the goalposts. Oh yeah!

Sadly I never did get into Hogwarts but I guess visiting the World of Harry Potter could be the next best thing. In short this book kicked off a life long love for a boy wizard who against all odds beat the fiercest dark wizard of all time and figured out what love, friendship, and family really meant. Thanks J.K. Rowling for letting me come along for the ride!

OH! And whenever I meet someone who says that they do not like Harry Potter because it is a children's book, compare it in any way to Twilight, and anything else blasphemous I imagine I look a little something like this:

4 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with Harry Potter! I've reread the series so many times by now, and I still love it each and every time! Great choice!

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I actually had to replace my Harry Potter novels this past Christmas because I literally wore the spine out and they were falling apart. It is actually quite sad the number of times that I have re-read these novels, especially the parts with Oliver Wood. Hello one of my first book boyfriends, also the actor is quite cute as well! :)

    Thank you for taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heehee! This sure brings me back to my first experience with HP too, which was very similar to your own :) Sadly, I'm pretty sure my Hogwarts letter got lost in the mail because I never received it on my eleventh birthday either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also believe that my Hogwarts letter is somewhere out there lost in the owl mail. I think that they sent it with Ron's owl and the poor thing is just wondering around trying to find me. :)

      Delete